Wednesday, 21 October 2009

One Hundred and Seventy Five

S.T.D Drain, Manchester

down in the Underground

Is it appropriate to listen to "
Underground" by David Bowie whilst writing this post? Some time ago, Myself and LittleMike decided to check out STD. Officially explored back in '86 by JonDoe, the drain had seen little photographic coverage other than that from a 2004 visit by Sub-Urban.com, and so, thought it should be duly paid a visit. However, when you lose your Manchester A-Z, Finding drains in large meadows with dozens of Chickens cluckling and flying around your feet becomes quite troublesome. A week later, prioritised with only the best electronic maps, Myself and Concrete Jungle finally found the unsuspecting outfall.

Callipygian Umbra

The drain commences with a back-breaking 4 foot stoop lasting for what seemed as far too long. Memories of traversing Cornbrook flooded back, but none the less we continued up the Corrugated Metal Pipe (CMP), reaching two shafts along the way. One shaft is damaged, with timber sleepers covering the entire adit. Finally leaving the CMP, we were greeted with 6 foot of brick pipe.

Drainmeal Food.

After quickly passing through the most notable chamber in S.T.D, featuring a 6 Foot Pipe and an adjacent 4 foot Pipe, we continued to the end before getting some happy snappy's for the photo book. The brick pipe changed into a "U" shape, and then into a 4 foot square box. At the very end were two small 3 foot pipes which fed into the drain, and a 30 foot tall inspection chamber with few railed guards. The manhole at the top seemed to have grown into the shaft as most things in nature do.
YouPipe

Overall, S.T.D is rad, It's been a while since I've seen an interesting drain. Shouts to Concrete Jungle, You can catch some of his photos here, Tunnel running fo' the win! Word is bond. Shortly after leaving, I headed back into town, and skanked for four hours to DnB, and 'Step with bits of Stalactite in my hair, Funny.

"Down in the underground A land serene A crystal moon, ah, ah
" - Bowie.

Peace, Ends

2 comments:

  1. Officially I first explored this drain in 1986! I returned in '04 with st00p to see how well my memories served what was actually there. Turns out they were pretty close, but being a good deal taller these days, that initial cmp section seemed like a hell of a harder slog nearly 20 years on! I like this drain, partly for the nostalgia, but also in part for it's peculiar forms and abrupt ending. Well done for shining some light on it, the few pics we did take were terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's rad. Haha, I was talking to Jim about it and he quite disliked it. I thought it was cool personally, It has character. The ending was rather odd indeed. Is there a watercourse that feeds into it from Topside? I would imagine it an outflow from the nearby Treatment works... Tis an Odd'n.

    ReplyDelete

designated comment area.. apparently: